State of affairs with Ilitek 9341 support

Andy Shevchenko andriy.shevchenko at intel.com
Fri Dec 8 16:00:36 UTC 2023

Included authors and latest (non-white-space) contributors to the drivers
in question along with relevant mailing list and respective (active in the
area) maintainers.

I already had risen the question in times when 4th (sic!) driver for the same
hardware was about to be pulled into upstream that we have to somehow reduce
the code base and unify device properties.

So, the main question here "What is the plan and where are we now?"

I admit that fbtft case is special as it supports, in particular, platform
device (parallel interface) and also well established in the embedded world.
What about the rest?

N.B. Besides the fact that panel drivers are too OF-centric, which is bad
practice for the new kernel code in general and has to be stopped. I.o.w.
seeing of_property_*() or alike in the driver after ca. 2020 should be
immediate NAK unless it's very well justified why it may not be used on
non-OF systems.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko