[v7, 7/9] drm/i915/gt: Ensure memory quiesced before invalidation for all engines

Andi Shyti andi.shyti at linux.intel.com
Fri Jul 21 12:45:12 UTC 2023

Hi Janusz,

On Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 12:10:22PM +0000, Krzysztofik, Janusz wrote:
> Hi Andi,
>
> On Thursday, 20 July 2023 23:07:35 CEST Andi Shyti wrote:
> > Commit af9e423a8aae
>
> You can't use this commit ID, it is invalid (the patch you are referring to
> belongs to your series, then is not available in any official repository,
> hence no stable commit ID yet).

yes, I need to update it, I know... this has changed at every
revision, but I was lazy and decided to do it at the end after
the whole review process was done. I didn't think that anyone
would go and check it :-D

It's good to know that there is a thorough review here! Thanks!

> > ("drm/i915/gt: Ensure memory quiesced before
> > invalidation") has made sure that the memory is quiesced before
> > invalidating the AUX CCS table. Do it for all the other engines
> > and not just RCS.
>
> Why do we need that now for other engines, while that former patch seemed to
> suggest we didn't?

This whole work started from a a couple of patches from Jonathan
and slowly exploded in this series of 9 patches. I tried to
preserve his work and just add things around them.

What Jonathan originally did was to add aux invalidation support
only for RCS and Compute engines, but then hardware guys updated
the docs asking to do it for basically all the engines.

Thank you,
Andi