drm/sched: Replacement for drm_sched_resubmit_jobs() is deprecated

Boris Brezillon boris.brezillon at collabora.com
Tue May 2 12:41:32 UTC 2023

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your quick reply.

On Tue, 2 May 2023 13:36:07 +0200
Christian König <christian.koenig at amd.com> wrote:

> Hi Boris,
>
> Am 02.05.23 um 13:19 schrieb Boris Brezillon:
> > Hello Christian, Alex,
> >
> > As part of our transition to drm_sched for the powervr GPU driver, we
> > realized drm_sched_resubmit_jobs(), which is used by all drivers
> > relying on drm_sched right except amdgpu, has been deprecated.
> > Unfortunately, commit 5efbe6aa7a0e ("drm/scheduler: deprecate
> > drm_sched_resubmit_jobs") doesn't describe what drivers should do or use
> > as an alternative.
> >
> > At the very least, for our implementation, we need to restore the
> > drm_sched_job::parent pointers that were set to NULL in
> > drm_sched_stop(), such that jobs submitted before the GPU recovery are
> > considered active when drm_sched_start() is called. That could be done
> > with a custom pending_list iteration restoring drm_sched_job::parent's
> > pointer, but that seems odd to let the scheduler backend manipulate
> > this list directly, and I suspect we need to do other checks, like the
> > karma vs hang-limit thing, so we can flag the entity dirty and cancel
> > all jobs being queued there if the entity has caused too many hangs.
> >
> > Now that drm_sched_resubmit_jobs() has been deprecated, that would be
> > great if you could help us write a piece of documentation describing
> > what should be done between drm_sched_stop() and drm_sched_start(), so
> > new drivers don't come up with their own slightly different/broken
> > version of the same thing.
>
> Yeah, really good point! The solution is to not use drm_sched_stop() and
> drm_sched_start() either.

Okay. If that's what we're heading to, this should really be clarified
in the job_timedout() method doc, because right now it's
mentioning drm_sched_{start,stop,resubmit_jobs}(), with
drm_sched_resubmit_jobs() being deprecated already.

> The general idea Daniel, the other Intel guys and me seem to have agreed
> on is to convert the scheduler thread into a work item.
>
> This work item for pushing jobs to the hw can then be queued to the same
> workqueue we use for the timeout work item.
>
> If this workqueue is now configured by your driver as single threaded
> you have a guarantee that only either the scheduler or the timeout work
> item is running at the same time. That in turn makes starting/stopping
> the scheduler for a reset completely superfluous.

Makes sense.

> Patches for this has already been floating on the mailing list, but
> haven't been committed yet. Since this is all WIP.

Assuming you're talking about [1], yes, I'm aware of this effort
(PowerVR also has FW-side scheduling, which is what this patch series
was trying to address initially). And I'm aware of the
ordered-workqueue trick too, it helped fixing a few races in panfrost
in the past.

> In general it's not really a good idea to change the scheduler and hw
> fences during GPU reset/recovery. The dma_fence implementation has a
> pretty strict state transition which clearly say that a dma_fence should
> never go back from signaled to unsignaled and when you start messing
> with that this is exactly what might happen.
>
> What you can do is to save your hw state and re-start at the same
> location after handling the timeout.

To sum-up, we shouldn't call drm_sched_{start,stop,resubmit_jobs}().
We should only make sure the reset operation is a work scheduled on the
ordered-workqueue that's also used by the drm_gpu_scheduler to dequeue
its jobs. What happens in the reset logic is purely driver-specific,
and the drm_gpu_scheduler::pending_list has to be manually iterated by
the driver if it needs to touch in-flight jobs as part of its
reset/resubmit logic. Now remains the question of entity guiltiness,
and guilty entity job's cancellation, which was previously handled by
the core and is now left to drivers. Is there any plan to automate that
a bit, or will it stay driver's responsibility?

Regards,

Boris

[1]https://lwn.net/Articles/928310/