[REGRESSION]: nouveau: Asynchronous wait on fence

Owen T. Heisler writer at owenh.net
Wed Nov 15 06:19:07 UTC 2023

On 10/31/23 04:18, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
> On 28.10.23 04:46, Owen T. Heisler wrote:
>> #regzbot introduced: d386a4b54607cf6f76e23815c2c9a3abc1d66882
>> #regzbot link: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/nouveau/-/issues/180
>>
>> ## Problem
>>
>> 1. Connect external display to DVI port on dock and run X with both
>>     displays in use.
>> 2. Wait hours or days.
>> 3. Suddenly the secondary Nvidia-connected display turns off and X stops
>>     responding to keyboard/mouse input. In *some* cases it is possible to
>>     switch to a virtual TTY with Ctrl+Alt+Fn and log in there.

> You thus might want to check if the problem occurs with 6.6 -- and
> ideally also check if reverting the culprit there fixes things for you.

Hi Thorsten and others,

The problem also occurs with v6.6. Here is a decoded kernel log from an
untainted kernel:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/nouveau/uploads/c120faf09da46f9c74006df9f1d14442/async-wait-on-fence-180.log

The culprit commit does not revert cleanly on v6.6. I have not yet
attempted to resolve the conflicts.

I have also updated the bug description at
<https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/nouveau/-/issues/180>.

Thanks,
Owen