Powered off Philips TV sends corrupt EDID causing flickering

Paul Menzel pmenzel at molgen.mpg.de
Thu Nov 23 14:17:33 UTC 2023

Dear Jani,

Thank you for your reply.

Am 22.11.23 um 11:38 schrieb Jani Nikula:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2023, Paul Menzel wrote:

>> Connecting a USB Type-C port replicator [1] to the only USB Type-C port
>> of the Dell XPS 13 9360 with Debian sid/unstable and Debian’s Linux
>> kernel 6.10.5, and then connecting a Philips 40PFL5206H/12 TV device,
>> that is powered off or in standby, to the HDMI port, Linux logs:

[…]

> Depending on how the port replicator works, this may not come from the
> TV at all.
>
> And all of this probably depends on GPU and driver, which are not
> mentioned.

Sorry for just mentioning the laptop model. It uses the device below:

     00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation HD
Graphics 620 [8086:5916] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

> If it's i915, please see [1] on how to file a bug.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me the proper forum. I created the
two issues below:

1.  EDID has corrupt header [2]
2.  No image on Philips TV when turning on while connected over
HDMI/USB-C port replicator (`[drm] *ERROR* Link Training Unsuccessful`) [3]

Kind regards,

Paul

[2]: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/9705
[3]: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/9707