drm-misc migration to Gitlab server

Maxime Ripard mripard at kernel.org
Tue Feb 20 08:49:25 UTC 2024

Hi,

As you might have noticed in your mails, Daniel Stone and I have been
working on adding all the drm-misc maintainers and committers to Gitlab.

The current repository was still in the cgit instance and was creating
an unnecessary burden on the admins.

For example, any new user had to create an issue and go through Daniel
to create an cgit account, even though that user already needed to have
a gitlab account to create the issue in the first place. Adding an SSH
key was a similar story. By moving to Gitlab, we'll remove most of that
burden.

This will be mostly transparent to current committers and users: we'll
still use dim, in the exact same way, the only change will be the URL of
the repo. This will also be transparent to linux-next, since the
linux-next branch lives in its own repo and is pushed by dim when
pushing a branch.

In the next few days, you might notice conflicting notifications. As we
figured out the drm-misc group and repo structure, we've added members
at multiple levels and we will clean things up in the next few days. The
final organization is that every drm-misc committers and maintainer will
have permissions over the drm-misc group and its projects, so if it's
not the case please let us know.

# What we do next

## Adding the a remaining users

I was able to identify most of the users with an account on the old git
server. However, there's a few I couldn't match with certainty to a
gitlab account:

* andr2000
* jsarha

Please let me know your Gitlab user so I can add them to the group.

## Changing the default location repo

Dim gets its repos list in the drm-rerere nightly.conf file. We will
need to change that file to match the gitlab repo, and drop the old cgit
URLs to avoid people pushing to the wrong place once the transition is
made.

I guess the next merge window is a good time to do so, it's usually a
quiet time for us and a small disruption would be easier to handle. I'll
be off-duty during that time too, so I'll have time to handle any
complication.

## Updating the documentation

The documentation currently mentions the old process to request a
drm-misc access. It will all go through Gitlab now, so it will change a
few things. We will also need to update and move the issue template to
the new repo to maintain consistency.

I would expect the transition (if everything goes smoothly) to occur in
the merge-window time frame (11/03 -> 24/03).

Let me know if you have any questions, or if there's anything we missed,
Maxime