Implement per-key keyboard backlight as auxdisplay?

Werner Sembach wse at tuxedocomputers.com
Tue Jan 30 18:01:37 UTC 2024

Hi Hans,

Am 30.01.24 um 18:10 schrieb Hans de Goede:
> Hi Werner,
>
> On 1/30/24 12:12, Werner Sembach wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> Am 29.01.24 um 14:24 schrieb Hans de Goede:
<snip>
>> I think that are mostly external keyboards, so in theory a possible cut could also between built-in and external devices.
> IMHO it would be better to limit /dev/rgbledstring use to only
> cases where direct userspace control is not possible and thus
> have the cut be based on whether direct userspace control
> (e.g. /dev/hidraw access) is possible or not.

Ack

<snip>

>> So also no basic driver? Or still the concept from before with a basic 1 zone only driver via leds subsystem to have something working, but it is unregistered by userspace, if open rgb wants to take over for fine granular support?
> Ah good point, no I think that a basic driver just for kbd backlight
> brightness support which works with the standard desktop environment
> controls for this makes sense.
>
> Combined with some mechanism for e.g. openrgb to fully take over
> control as discussed. It is probably a good idea to file a separate
> issue with the openrgb project to discuss the takeover API.

I think the OpenRGB maintainers are pretty flexible at that point, after all
it's similar to enable commands a lot of rgb devices need anyway. I would
include it in a full api proposal.

On this note: Any particular reason you suggested an ioctl interface instead of
a sysfs one? (Open question as, for example, I have no idea what performance
implications both have)

<snip>

>> I opened an issue regarding this:https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB/-/issues/3916
> Great, thank you.