EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 5

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Wed Apr 6 15:57:16 PDT 2005

Matthew Tippett wrote:
> Comments within.
>
>  >
>  >     7. How should the notion of a screen's "native" mode be expressed?
>  >        For example, LDC panels have a native resolution and refresh rate
>  >        that looks best but other sub-optimal resolutions may be
> supported.
>  >
>  >        The mode attribute EGL_OPTIMAL_MESA will be set for modes which
>  >        best match the screen.  [M. Danzer]
>
> Note the typo for LCD.

Fixed.

> These two are related.  Within the EDID specification, the ordering of
> display information has an implication that the native resolution is the
> first detailed timing that is returned.
>
> There are certian monitors that (Apple Cinema) that do not follow this
> approach since the bandwidth requirements for the native display would
> not be suitable for non-dual link cards.  That monitor returns the
> single link (1280x800) mode first - implying that that is the native
> resolution, and then the dual link mode (2560x1600) second.  All cards
> will support the first mode, but only high end cards will support the
> second.  In short, for the Apple Cinema display there are two 'OPTIMAL'
> modes that would be possible depending on hardware.  I guess that the
> monitor hardware detection becomes a driver issue to determine which is
> truly the optimal mode based on hardware configuration.  This will
> require more work on the driver, but will leave a more consistent
> interface for OES applications.

So, are you saying that we need something additional in the
EGL_MESA_screen_surface API for this?

We still need to define what happens when one display device is
removed and a new one replaces it.  The set of available display modes
may change.  The EGL API user should have a way to detect this.

-Brian