EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 5

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Mon Apr 25 03:11:01 PDT 2005

On Apr 22, 05 18:04:21 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 4/22/05, Brian Paul <brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> > Care to propose new API functions which use EGLScreen instead of integers?
>
> Is this all we need? Plus change the type on screen_number from EGLint
> to ELGScreen for the whole API.
>
>   EGLBoolean eglGetScreensMESA(EGLDisplay dpy,
>                               EGLScreen *screens, EGLint screens_size,
>                               EGLint *num_screens)
>
> Then these are the two error codes for my screen or mode disappearing?
>
>    EGL_BAD_SCREEN_MESA
>    EGL_BAD_MODE_MESA

I would suggest that the ability to generate screen or mode disappearing
errors should be part of the hotplug extension that is yet to come. This
would ease the life of embedded device programmers a lot. The error
codes can already be defined in this extension, as we have to generate
them for bad handles (e.g. NULL) as well.

> We'll need to note that screen, mode, surface handles can't be reused.
> Once the associated object is deleted the handles will always need to
> return EGL_BAD_xx_MESA. This implies that the handles can't be direct
> pointers and instead  have to be indices into a look up table.

You are indicating that we need a lookup table of endless size?
Shudder...
If there is a persistent state attached to handles, there must also be a
way to free/close them.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __