Current status of EGL spec

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Aug 11 00:17:00 EST 2005

Jon Smirl wrote:
> I pretty have a working EGL implementation on radeon DRI now. The code
> is checked into the mesa tree. Is it time to push the spec on to
> khronos?

I haven't had time to finalize the spec.  There's still a number of
open issues that should be addressed.

> Some minor issues I had...
>
> 1) Would it make sense to eliminate modes and just add an attribute to
> configs marking them as displayable? Something like EGL_SCREEN_BIT.

No.  Modes have the following attributes: width, height, refresh rate,
interlaced.  It wouldn't be good to tie configs (pixel formats) to
those attributes.  For example, you'd need separate pixel formats and
rendering context to draw to two surfaces which only differed in width
and height.

> 2) Given eglQueryScreenSurfaceMESA and eglCreateScreenSurfaceMESA, for
> symmetry should eglShowSurfaceMESA instead be
> eglShowScreenSurfaceMESA?

That would be OK with me.

> 3) Should eglScreenPositionMESA(EGLDisplay dpy, EGLScreenMESA screen,
> EGLint x, EGLint y) instead use EGLint *x, EGLint *y. That would allow
> hardwar

You got chopped off there, but I think I know what you're getting at
(return the actual position in case 1-pixel positioning isn't supported).

First, OpenGL conventionally doesn't use in/out parameters like that.
  Second, how common is it that hardware can't support 1-pixel
positioning?  If it's not a common problem, I'd defer for a future
extension which would allow you to query the positioning granularity.

-Brian