Multiple EGL implementations

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sat Jul 2 11:59:29 PDT 2005

On Saturday 02 July 2005 14:44, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 7/2/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > You missed it.  libGL, by any sane definition, should be a common object
> > that no vendor replaces [1].  That it's not is a major bug.
>
> And this bug is going to get fixed? Probably about the same time
> Nvidia sends us specs for their chips. I didn't miss it, I didn't
> think it was fixable.

Your pessimism is duly noted.  Yes, I consider this of primary importance, I
think it's fixable, and I'll do what needs to be done to get it fixed.  At a
minimum, there's no excuse for the closed DRI drivers (ATI, 3dlabs, XGI) to
be shipping a custom libGL.  I haven't played with nVidia's GL stack, but
come on, it's GL function dispatch, there's only one or two ways to skin that
cat.

> Adding a multiplexer to Xgl opens up a couple of neat features. We can
> support mixed ATI/Nvidia/DRI systems. Xgl can also implement a GLX
> protocol client as a multiplexer option. That would allow Xgl to
> function like DMX and assemble display walls. Of course we will need
> to modify GLX to transmit the EGL calls.

Backwards, you need to make an EGL driver that emits GLX protocol.  That's
still on my radar, 7.0's just taking more (okay basically all) of my free
time right now.

Note that that doesn't require a libGL multiplexor.  It's selecting a
different display.  It falls out totally naturally from MESA_choose_display.

> > But this is no longer 1995, and that's not the right solution.  Implement
> > it in Xgl if you want, but it doesn't belong in the library layer.  Yes,
> > this means evangelizing to the vendors to get libGL in a sharable state.
>
> I have wasted too much time talking to brick walls. You can talk to
> them if you want.

Help, help, I'm being oppressed.

- ajax