Multiple EGL implementations

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 12:13:16 PDT 2005

On 7/2/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > Adding a multiplexer to Xgl opens up a couple of neat features. We can
> > support mixed ATI/Nvidia/DRI systems. Xgl can also implement a GLX
> > protocol client as a multiplexer option. That would allow Xgl to
> > function like DMX and assemble display walls. Of course we will need
> > to modify GLX to transmit the EGL calls.
>
> Backwards, you need to make an EGL driver that emits GLX protocol.  That's
> still on my radar, 7.0's just taking more (okay basically all) of my free
> time right now.
>
> Note that that doesn't require a libGL multiplexor.  It's selecting a
> different display.  It falls out totally naturally from MESA_choose_display.

I haven't worked through the details of how a remote EGL display would
work. Xegl is going to want to open the display, get a list of modes
and set a screen surface. Can all of that be mapped on GLX without
changes? How about off screen surfaces? Have you paired up the EGL API
with corresponding GLX calls to make sure that everything is mappable?

This would make an interesting side project. Build an EGL wrapper that
runs inside the current X server and then run Xegl on it. By doing
this you would sort out the needed EGL to GLX mappings.

But I have to get a DRI based EGL driver going before I can do anything else.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com