suspend/resume

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Jun 15 12:14:55 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 13:56, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 6/15/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > The standard EGL way to handle this is to assume the driver knows what's
> > going on, and throw EGL_CONTEXT_LOST when it happens.
>
> Does only the driver need to know about suspend/resume or does the X
> server need to know too? EGL_CONTEXT_LOST only handles resume. What
> about suspend?

The server needs the ability to send power control messages to the attached
subsystems (blank the display, etc.), but notifying the server of a suspend
event should not be done through the EGL API.  (And really can't be done
without adding a callback, which, no.)  While we may want some entrypoint for
sending DPMS messages to the display, we don't need to save any state really,
since we have all the offscreen pixmaps for all the window contents, and we
can recreate the EGL context trivially.

This is pretty much how the server handles it now.  The server treats power
down as a special case of losing the VT.  You have to wait for DMA to quiesce
of course, but you do that within the drm anyway.

- ajax