Native surface creation

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:06:34 PST 2005

Down in framebuffer land I'm working on getting things set up for
this. The sysfs changes to for modes/mode are in linux bk now. If you
load radeonfb the list of legal modes is in
/sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes. Users can set one of these strings into
'mode' to set the mode. Benh is on board now with making one fbX
device per head. He is working on it now so it should be done in a
week or so. I'm still playing with the right way to reset secondary
cards.

If mode is changed this will generate a hal/dbus event but that isn't
implemented yet. Same if the list of modes changes via monitor
hotplug.

Right now bit_per_pixel is independent of modes. I will probably
eliminate the bpp variable and combine it into the mode name. Doing
that allow the case of cards that don't have the DAC bandwidth to
display high color depths at their highest resolution. If the combined
bandwidth is too high for the monitor the mode will disappear.

Development is fbdev is moving again. Antonino Daplas is pushing
things through now that previously did not move forward.

Buffer management will still need coordination. Right now fbdev will
put one at each end of memory for dual heads.

Do this look like what EGL needs? Hopefully I can get this finished in
a few weeks and get back to working on DRM/mesa.

[jonsmirl at jonsmirl fb0]$ cat modes
U:1152x864-75
S:1280x1024-60
V:1153x864-75
V:1280x1024-75
V:1024x768-75
V:1024x768-70
V:1024x768-60
U:832x624-75
V:800x600-75
V:800x600-72
V:800x600-60
V:800x600-56
V:640x480-75
V:640x480-72
U:640x480-67
V:640x480-60
U:720x400-70

S - Standard, V - Vesa, D - Detailed, U - User

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com