Native surface creation

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Fri Mar 11 12:32:29 PST 2005

On Friday 11 March 2005 15:06, Jon Smirl wrote:
> If mode is changed this will generate a hal/dbus event but that isn't
> implemented yet. Same if the list of modes changes via monitor
> hotplug.

Mode change is something I haven't thought through completely yet.  GL doesn't
really have a way to send notifications up to the app asynchronously, though
EGL does give us a "context lost" error condition that can trigger at any
time that might be good enough...

I really hesitate to be the guy that adds the first callback to GL though.

> Right now bit_per_pixel is independent of modes. I will probably
> eliminate the bpp variable and combine it into the mode name. Doing
> that allow the case of cards that don't have the DAC bandwidth to
> display high color depths at their highest resolution. If the combined
> bandwidth is too high for the monitor the mode will disappear.

Yes, depth needs to be part of the resolution specification.

> Buffer management will still need coordination. Right now fbdev will
> put one at each end of memory for dual heads.

This is yet another area that the unified DRM memory manager should address.
Mode set should only reserve the front buffer space, and everything else
should be allocated on the fly based on the needs of each context.

> Do this look like what EGL needs? Hopefully I can get this finished in
> a few weeks and get back to working on DRM/mesa.

Yes, this looks like it gives us all the information and control we need.

The problem remains of querying the supported modes in a portable fashion.  In
theory we can wedge this into the fbconfig, but that's adding another three
dimensions to the fbconfig space which means your fbconfig list grows by
about a factor of 8.  Which may be fine, but it makes eglinfo output reeeally
long.

- ajax