EGL_MESA_screen_surface proposal

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 07:24:16 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:20:58 +0000, Alan Hourihane
<alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:06:37AM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Breif comments on how to implement each one on top of new fbdev layer.
> >
> > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:26:48 -0700, Brian Paul
> > <brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> > >     EGLBoolean eglChooseModeMESA(EGLDisplay dpy, const EGLint *attrib_list,
> > >                                  EGLModeMESA *modes, EGLint modes_size,
> > >                                  EGLint *num_modes)
> >
> > Retrieve full mode list, do matching in egl library
> >

> > >     EGLBoolean eglGetModesMESA(EGLDisplay dpy, EGLint screen_number,
> > >                                EGLModeMESA *modes, EGLint modes_size,
> > >                                EGLint *num_modes)
> >
> > read full list of modes from sysfs
>
> I'm a little concerned about a fixed mode list.
>
> What if I wanted to do 900x900 or some other wacky resolution ??

Fixing the mode list is what allows you to set a mode without needing
to be root.

To get 900x900 log on as root, edit your /etc/fb.modes, and rerun the
command that loads the mode list into the driver. That will cause a
hal/dbus event indicating that the mode list has changed.

The root/user protection is needed to stop an attacker from setting a
mode that would burn out monitors.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com