Mode setting & EGL

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 20:41:59 PST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:32:19 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>  - Ideally, mode setting should be implemented in a separate library on
> top of fbdev ioctl's and drm, and EGL using that library, no ? We want
> more than just mode setting, we want things like geometry informations
> (where each screen is placed relative to the next), we want extended
> attribute lists (TV outputs or such things can have more "switchable"
> attributes attached to modes, like whether to use full overscan or
> borders, that sort of thing, those could be separate modes though, but
> it may be useful to provide additional settings. That also includes
> things like LCD backlight control etc...)

When dealing with multiple users we also have to track things like
this monitor/mouse/keyboard is a login group or this screen/usbub (and
all devices plugged into it) is a group. This has to be something that
PAM is aware of since ownership of the device group needs to transfer
at login.

Alan Cox and I also talked about how things that had no user logged
onto them were in a pool that other users could grab. For example the
two heads on a radeon. When you boot they both get a login prompt.
Then you start XGL and your XGL config says to grab both screens. You
can do this because no one is logged into the second one.

I was delaying this until we had the basic display working but it may
need to be part of the EGL proposal.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com