EGL_MESA_screen_surface proposal

Michel Danzer mdanzer at ati.com
Wed Mar 16 12:10:24 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 15:04 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:49:40 -0500, Michel Danzer <mdanzer at ati.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 14:17 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > >
> > > The only reason you need the interlace attribute is when you have both
> > > 1080p and 1080i available and you want to force 1080i. But now that
> > > think about it I don't think you'll ever want to do this so we don't
> > > need the attribute. I can't think of a situation where you want to
> > > force an inferior mode when you have a better one available.
> >
> > Someone might want to play back interlaced video and not have to deal
> > with de-interlacing.
>
> How does interlaced video playback work? Is there a way to have two
> different surfaces and tell the hardware to switch on each frame?
>
> There are two ways to implement 1080i...
> single 1920x1080 buffer that is scaning out alternate lines in each frame
> two 1920x540 buffers alternating on each frame

These are implementation details and outside of the scope of this
discussion I think. The point is that there are valid reasons for
preferring an interlaced mode over a progressive one.

--
Michel Danzer, Linux Software Engineering       \   Tel: +1 905-882-2600
ATI Technologies Inc., Markham, Ontario, Canada  \       Extension: 3550