EGL_MESA_screen_surface proposal

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Mar 16 17:24:26 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 13:56 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:26:50 -0500, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Another way to look at this is should EGL even expose more than one
> > mode at any given resolution?
> > If your card and monitor both support 1080p why would you ever want to
> > use 1080i?
> > If your card and monitor both support 1024x768-72 why would you want
> > 1024x768-60?
>
> some flat panels list 72 or 72 as a refresh via DDC, but they only
> look best at 60.

Aren't they supposed to provide 60 as the primary detailed timings ? But
I agree with Alex here, we need ways to use different refresh rates. How
many CRTs have you seen that just don't work properly when using the max
rate they advertise in their EDID as well ?

I need what we need here is mode "names" as Jon proposed, to be able to
expose things that we don't deal with in the API, and a way to know the
"native" mode of the display if any.

Ben.