EGL_MESA_screen_surface proposal

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 12:14:17 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:01:15 -0500, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On another topic, if I understand my LCD correctly it is always
> > updating at 60Hz no matter what I set the refresh to. What it does is
> > let me update the buffer at 72Hz but it is still displayed at 60Hz.
> > 60Hz doesn't flicker because LCDs don't use phosphors. Given this,
> > it's always best to update my display at 60Hz. All that happens at
> > 72Hz is that 17% of the bits sent to the monitor never get displayed.
>
> Your LCD may behave like that, but the ones I have at work advertise 75
> Hz but they look like crap (fuzzy, etc.) if they are not run at 60Hz.
> To use them with X I have to force them to 60hz other wise they end up
> at 75 Hz.

That is the same as what I said, the LCD is always updating at the
refresh specificied in it's detailed timings. In my case that is 60Hz.
The LCD advertises accepting 72Hz but it looks better at 60Hz. It's
fuzzy because it is showing partial frames or some other reason.

This was a reason for not wanting egl to control the ranking of the
displays. egl doesn't know this and it will rank 72Hz over 60Hz.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com