EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 2

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 13:30:17 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:53:44 -0500, Michel Danzer <mdanzer at ati.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 19:20 -0700, Brian Paul wrote:
> >
> >     EGLBoolean eglChooseModeMESA(EGLDisplay dpy, const EGLint *attrib_list,
> >                                  EGLModeMESA *modes, EGLint modes_size,
> >                                  EGLint *num_modes)
> >
> >     Like eglChooseConfig, returns a list of EGLModes which match the given
> >     attribute list.  This does not set the screen's current display mode.
> >     The attribute list is a list of token/value pairs terminated with
> >     EGL_NONE.  Supported attributes include:
> >
> >         Name               Description
> >         -----------------  ---------------------------------------------
> >         EGL_WIDTH          Mode width (resolution)
> >         EGL_HEIGHT         Mode height (resolution)
> >         EGL_REFRESH_RATE   The mode's refresh rate, multiplied by 1000
> >         EGL_INTERLACED     1 indicates an interlaced mode, 0 otherwise
>
> On second thought, EGL_INTERLACED does seem out of place here, it might
> better be left for another extension that facilitates playback of
> interlaced video material. What does everybody else think?

I vote for removing it. I also think we need to find out more about
playing interlaced video. For example my LCD does not support any
interlaced modes but I can play back interlaced video on it without
problem. I think XV is deinterlacing when it copies the video into the
framebuffer.

My understanding is that all framebuffers are progressive. You can
then scan these progressive buffers out at different sync types,
refresh rates or do an interlaced scan out.

Of course there may be video support hardware I am unfamiliar with
that handles interlace differently. But if playing interlaced video
required interlaced monitor support I could never watch it on my LCD's
since they don't support interlace.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com