EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 2

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 21:07:37 PST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:54:45 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 23:46 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > My new opinion on modes is:
> >
> > 1) modes only have two egl attributes, width & height
>
> That is not new, and I still think you are wrong :) I think frequency is
> important (you seem to be the only one not to think so). I also really
> want more attributes, one important one for example is the LCD pixel
> format (for subpixel rendering) etc... I'll try to come up with a proper
> list asap. I need to read the spec first, this week-end hopefully.

subpixel format is a display attribute, not a mode attribute. I don't
have any problem with more readonly display attributes.

DPI is a problem because the concept doesn't work on projected displays.

> > 2) modes must have name
>
> Agreed.
>
> > 3) the internal egl implementation can return multiple modes for each
> > width & height, name is what differentiates them
>
> You mean the frequency should be just part of the name ? Hrm... maybe. I
> still want more attributes though :) What about things like TV standard,
> etc... putting it all in the name will end up with quite over-long
> names ...

It would all go into the name. But these names don't have to be long
because they would be defined in the lower level system config files.
Why not name them TVOUT, HIREFRESH, LOREFRESH. The only time they
would get long is when the lower layers try to autogenerate them and
the generated name includes all of the low level variables.

> > 4) the multiple mode list is sorted by the internal egl implementation
> > such that most preferable mode comes first and so on.
>
> So the LCD native mode would just be the first one returned by EGL ?
> Agreed, that makes things simper, no need for a special "native"
> attribute then.

Yes, the low level layers would know about the detailed mode and mode
it to the front of the list.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com