EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 3

Michel Danzer mdanzer at ati.com
Fri Mar 18 08:10:46 PST 2005

Here's my take on some of the issues. Keep up the good job Brian.

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 07:46 -0700, Brian Paul wrote:

>     1. Should EGL_INTERLACE be a supported mode attribute?

No, this should be provided by another extension which would also
provide the mechanisms needed to play back interlaced video material
correctly on hardware that supports it.

This extension should prefer non-interlaced modes.

>     2. Should EGL_REFRESH_RATE be a supported mode attribute?

Yes, it's been shown that applications and/or users need to select modes
by this.

>     3. Exactly how should the list of modes returned by eglChooseConfigMESA
>        be sorted?

I think the current order is good.

>     5. Should the EGL_PHYSICAL_WIDTH/HEIGHT_EGL tokens be kept?  They're
>        not always reliable (i.e. projectors) but can still be used to
>        determine the pixel aspect ratio.

If they're only useful for the pixel aspect ratio, they could be
replaced by a single token for that.

>     7. How should the notion of a screen's "native" mode be expressed?
>        For example LDC panels have a native resolution and refresh rate
>        but may support other sub-optimal resolutions.
>
>        At this time, the EGL_OPTIMAL_MESA values may be specified in
>        eglChooseModeMESA() for EGL_WIDTH, EGL_HEIGHT, etc.
>
>        However, that violates the principle that eglChooseModeMESA()
>        should be fully implementable in terms of the eglGetModesMESA and
>        eglGetModeAttribMESA functions (as for eglChooseConfig).

Another option would be a special attribute like EGL_OPTIMAL. Modes that
have this set would be preferred. The native resolution should be
covered by the preference for larger modes, or are there displays that
handle larger than native resolution?

--
Michel Danzer, Linux Software Engineering       \   Tel: +1 905-882-2600
ATI Technologies Inc., Markham, Ontario, Canada  \       Extension: 3550