EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 4

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Mar 23 14:42:31 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 12:08 -0500, Michel Danzer wrote:

> I agree, but I think it should be made clear that the mode names are
> implementation specific, subject to change and don't have any meaning
> beyond being unique for each mode. Applications should never try to
> identify modes by name.

I agree. However, there is one important distinction here: Do we allow
the API to return 2 modes that are overall identical except that they
have different names ?

If we do, that opens the door for HW that has some important "features"
that aren't exposed here to expose them via this API. An example is TV
Out, the HW driver could expose modes with "PAL" or "NTSC" in the mode
name (ok, well, I admit, in this case, they are likely to have different
resolution, but my point still stands in the generic case). Another
example is the type of scaling for a non-native LCD mode (preserve
aspect ratio or fully stretched).

I think that if we allow it, it should be mentioned explicitely, in
order for clients of the API to avoid bugs when dealing with the mode
list.

Ben.