EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 4

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 19:17:03 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:24:59 -0700, Brian Paul
<brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> > In the composited desktop model all top level window get their own
> > surface then the desktop composits them into a single image. Now let's
> > assume these top level windows are compatible with monitor modes. If
> > all surfaces are created equal I should be able to transparently make
> > each top level window full screen and rotate through them.
>
> I think that assumption is a bit optimistic.  Top-level windows might
> very well be stored as textures (perhaps stored in a format that can't
> be directly scanned out), or pbuffers, or FB objects.  I wonder if
> Dave Reveman has a preference?

He wants FB objects.

> But if top-level windows could be directly scanned out, that could be
> cool.
>
> I guess the key thing about eglCreateScreenSurfaceMESA() is the fact
> that you're asserting that you want to create a surface especially for
> scan-out.  I guess you could pass a new flag to
> eglCreateWindow/Pixmap/PbufferSurface() to indicate that intention,
> but that feels like a hack to me.

I thought the whole point of FB objects was to get rid of the
distinction between window/pixmap/pbuffer. Could the base object
always be an FBO and window/pixmap/pbuffer are then derived off from
the FBO? Then if the base scan out object is also an FBO everything
can be scanned out if it is compatible with the mode.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com