implement window surface

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed May 18 14:16:41 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 13:16 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Don't I need to implement window surfaces in the fbdev EGL driver? In
> other words the ability to create a surface that will draw to a
> clipped rectangle on an existing screen surface.  Without clipped
> surfaces how can you implement a non-composed Xserver?

My understanding is that by the time Xgl gets its hands on the
data, windows are gone. It's operating at the framebuffer layer not at
the higher "window management" layer.

If you wanted to implement window surfaces in the fbdev EGL driver
then you need to duplicate all sorts of computations that the server
has to do anyways. We don't want the fbdev EGL driver to be a
windowing system, just a graphics driver.

What I suspect *would* be useful for Xgl (without being very familiar
with the Xgl code) is access to the underlying HW clip list
functionality that is used in a GLX window implementation. Basically,
an extension that extended glScissor to take a list of rectangles.

Regards,
						Owen