Xegl lives!

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Tue May 24 18:23:56 PDT 2005

On 5/24/05, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:53:45AM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > On 5/24/05, Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com> wrote:
> > > As I understand it, Zack's nearly done with that project, and is
> > > offering to come help you as soon as he can...
> >
> > KAA is a dead end and spending resources working on it is only
> > delaying the cut over to a GL based server. GL based servers also
> > accelerate render, they just do it using a standards based API.
>
> I hate to break it to you, Jon, but the world is not all shiny fast new
> 3D.  We still need a very compelling 2D-based system.

Shiny fast 3D can be had for $10 now. For cell phones/Ipaq use
software mesa. Software mesa provides full OpenGL on nothing but a
dumb framebuffer.

Besides, the purpose of using OpenGL in the X server is to accelerate
2D drawing, not to build a 3D interface. Check out the benchmarks of
glitz vs xlib in the Cario group.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com