State of EGL

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 01:39:02 PDT 2005

> I'm working on a native windowing system (without X) and want to use OpenGL as
> the basic layer (by implementing 2D functionality of window surfaces with GL).
> For what I've seen so far EGL could be the right thing to do it. So what is the
> state of the current DRI-EGL implementation? Is it usable yet? I've compiled the
> current Mesa source and it don't get the sample EGL programms running (neither
> the radeon driver seems to work nor the framebuffer driver).
> A second approach was using DRI only, but that also doesn't seem to work right.

At this stage you've really only two choices, either use miniglx or
dri-egl, the only cards that I know work are radeon (r100/r200), and
I'm working on r300 for dri-egl slowly...

miniglx is a dead-end path, I support it on hardware for a client, but
I'd seriously doubt it'll ever gain any new features..

dri-egl is working for me running Xegl on radeon 9200 the last time I
tried it, I need to do some testing again on my 9200 for eglgears,
before I go back to getting the r300 going..

Dave.