sidecar naming

Hubert Figuiere hub at figuiere.net
Thu Dec 6 11:24:46 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 14:03 -0500, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How are people naming sidecars?
>
> #1) foo.jpg -> foo.xmp
> #2) foo.jpg -> foo.jpg.xmp
>
> I think the XMP specification mandates #1, but it is vaguely worded. Is
> any common software using #2?

AFAIK, they all use form #1. As for the reference in the non-free world,
Adobe software does that.

One of the main reason is that it is the same scheme used by RAW + JPEG.
foo.cr2 and foo.jpg express the same image in different format. (or .THM
files in some canon camera). See DCF, 3.2.2
http://www.exif.org/dcf.PDF

If you really want you can implement a fallback to deal #2 when reading,
but I don't know any software that do that.

Hub