[Fontconfig] libxft2 kerning difficulty

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Mar 4 15:30:53 EST 2003

Around 19 o'clock on Mar 3, Dan Egnor wrote:

> How'd I do?

Looks right to me.

> Now let's take some example glyphs.  I'm going to be using MS fonts
> for these examples (from msttcorefonts).  If this is actually a bug
> in the fonts, consider my question to be "how do I work around the
> bugs in real-world fonts".  These are also not isolated examples, and
> I can try to find them in other fonts as well.

I don't see any actual problems with the glyphs shown; at small sizes, the
spacing between glyphs often gets rounded in odd ways.  I'd be interested
to know if you've got the byte code interpreter enabled; one of the main
improvements that can make is in spacing -- small sizes often have delta
hints that fix these rounding problems.

-keith