[Fontconfig] How does fontconfig work?

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.hn.org
Wed Aug 4 11:48:16 EST 2004

I am still getting BigNoiseMusic for Helvetica, with no clue why. I found
fc-list; it produces several Arials in its list, but no Helvetica.

I looked in the documentation. Unfortunately there is no man page for fc-list
or fc-cache, and running fc-cache as myself produces no output. I don't want
to run it as root until I know what it is. The documentation consists mostly
of doc of libfontconfig routines.

How does fontconfig interact with the X server? How do I get it to reread its
configuration and update the X server? How can I find, given a font name,
which file it gets the font from?

phma
--
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa