[Fontconfig] Fontconfig 2.2.2 and Xft 2.1.4 released

Adam Sampson azz at us-lot.org
Mon Mar 15 09:31:36 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 04:05:12PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> I fixed up fontconfig 2.2 to work with new versions of FreeType and have
> made a release on that branch.  Version 2.2.2 is available at

Upgrading to these versions of fontconfig and Xft (from fontconfig 2.2.1
and Xft 2.1.1) seems to have caused problems with GTK applications for
me. My default font is the bitmap Helvetica that comes with XFree86, and
any application that wants to use a size other than the default crashes
with an error like:

** (xfce-mcs-manager:21817): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font
Helvetica Bold 14.3994140625

** (xfce-mcs-manager:21817): WARNING **: Cannot open fallback font,
nothing to do

Is this Xft change likely to be the culprit?

        * xftfreetype.c: (_XftSetFace), (XftFontInfoFill):
        Search for closest bitmap size when font provides only bitmaps
        Use FC_HINT_STYLE only when available

Thanks,

--
Adam Sampson <azz at us-lot.org>                        <http://offog.org/>