[Fontconfig] cannot open font?

Alexy Khrabrov list+fontconfig at setup.org
Fri May 21 13:43:03 EST 2004

Greetings --

I've had some problems installing fontconfig 2.2.94 -- it would exit
with make error 139, which trawling the net showed to be alleviated by
removing /usr/lib/X11/fonts/URW symlink, the only symlink there on my
(heavily updated) SuSE 7.1, pointing to /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts.
Later things would segfault if URW was put back or even replaced by a
full copy, so I just sort of left it out.

Now I have a problem with perl Gtk2/Pango, when trying to run a
short script called massrorate.  I posted to gtk-per list, but they
say it's a fontconfig/Pango problem.  That much I see, as gtk+ tests
work by themselves, showing boxes with text.  I attach the gtk-perl
message for reference.

The strange result is, massrotate would just segfault with no messages,
until I'd run gtk+ tests from its build directory, tests/.libs/.
Then it would create a ~/.font.cache-1 in my home directory, and
massrotate would do a new trick:

WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Bitstream Charter 16 at /usr/local/bin/massrotate line 99.
Segmentation fault

Tracing in gdb shows it's pango.  However, I was getting messages
like unable to open default font configuration file, referring to
fontconfig.org, so I guess it's a pango/fontconfig interplay.
Does that warning above come from fontconfig?  It installed
/usr/local/etc/fonts/font.conf, and copying them around to /etc or
~/.fonts didn't help.  I'm running xfs, while font.conf refers to
explicit font directories -- where font.cache-1 properly exists.
The 16 size above comes from my ~/.gtkrc-2.0, and Bitstream Charter
seems to match everything.  In fc-match, I get this:

fc-match "Bitstream Charter 10"
Efont_Serif.ttf: "Efont Serif" "Regular"

And in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/truetype, I see

ls /usr/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/
Efont_Serif.ttf       Efont_Serif_B.ttf   fonts.dir
Efont_Serif_A.ttf     Efont_Serif_BI.ttf  fonts.scale
Efont_Serif_A_B.ttf   Efont_Serif_I.ttf   fonts.scale.efont-serif-ttf
Efont_Serif_A_BI.ttf  encodings.dir
Efont_Serif_A_I.ttf   fonts.cache-1

So in order to show a little window to rotate a jpeg, I need to unravel
the whole font architecture!  :)  Is it pango, in your opinion, or
misconfigured fontconfig -- then how do I test the font *can* be rendered?
I use the default font.conf, except removing the URW from there.

--
Cheers,
Alexy Khrabrov :: www.setup.org :: Age Quod Agis