[Fontconfig] performance optimizations

Jakub Pavelek jakub.pavelek at nokia.com
Tue Oct 12 19:18:37 EST 2004

Hi all,

we have had a look at our performance with Fontconfig 2.2.96 and have
some questions:

1) there seems to be a huge number of strcmp operations when handling
the fonts. In my test run I got over a million of such comparisons
originated form Fontconfig! Element names are compared again and again.
Do we feel this should be optimized? Does anyone work on that already?

2) The usage of floating point types. Those matching results are
"double" even though majority of comparisons do not return any real
floating point value. Not a problem on x86 but when run on ARM this
becomes really bad really fast.
Should we think about optimizations here too? Anyone working on that
already?

Br,

--jakub