[Fontconfig] q about PCF font

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Apr 1 15:38:16 EST 2005

Around 12 o'clock on Mar 31, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> The converter is called fonttosfnt, and the most up-to-date version is
> the one somewhere in Keith's CVS.

	http://keithp.com/cvs.html

has instructions for accessing this repository.

> It is almost there -- but as far as I'm concerned, I've moved on to
> greener pastures, and have no intention to go back to hacking fonts in the
> foreseeable future.

For Unicode encoded bdf files, it works just fine -- it even merges multiple
sizes into a single output file.  For non-Unicode bdf files, there's more
work yet to be done.

The missing pieces are those needed to capture the information in the BDF
file which isn't normally in a TTF file in some form, and then some way to
regenerate the BDF file to test that no information is lost in the
transformation process.

But, I've left this unfinished for several years now. Of course, if
someone else wanted to pick it up and finish it, we could eliminate all of
the BDF and PCF files in the X distribution once and for all.  That would
be a huge boon to every OS distributor and X user...

-keith