[Fontconfig] Making fontconfig aware of the fonts in certain directories

Ambrose Li acli at ada.dhs.org
Mon Apr 4 15:34:05 EST 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 09:38:19PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> local.conf will still get read, but it's easier to keep your
> customizations in place if they're in a separate file.

Thanks for the note. Sorry for not having followed fontconfig
changes very closely.

On the other hand, I don't find keeping customizations in many
files easier: With a single file, I can track my changes with
RCS, but with several files, I have to worry about many files
and also how to represent the fact of "this particular bit of
configuration did not exist before a certain time". (Since I
was not aware of this functionality in fontconfig, I am not
talking about fontconfig, but rather other subsystems which
have moved to multiple file configurations, like cron, inetd,
etc.) IMHO, the "many files" approach might be very safe for
automatic packaging systems, but I don't find them very helpful
for local customizations.

Just my two cents.

> -keith

Regards,