[Fontconfig] fc-cache doesn't detect some PCF fonts

Andrei Badea andrei.badea at movzx.net
Thu Apr 21 06:01:59 EST 2005

I have a couple of PCF fonts which fc-cache doesn't detect:

fc-cache: "/usr/local/share/fonts": skipping, 0 fonts, 2 dirs
fc-cache: "/usr/local/share/fonts/100dpi": caching, 0 fonts, 0 dirs
fc-cache: "/usr/local/share/fonts/75dpi": caching, 0 fonts, 0 dirs

although there are two pcf.gz files in each of the 100dpi and 75dpi directories.
Mkfontdir does recognize the fonts, and I can select them in xfontsel, so I
guess the font files are valid.

I have several more PCF fonts on my system, which fc-cache does detect, so OTOH
I guess there is some problem with these particular fonts.

I would like to ask how it is possible to troubleshoot this. I understand
fc-cache uses FreeType to read the font files, so maybe this is actually a
FreeType problem, but how can I find out for sure?

In case anyone is interested, the font files are here:

http://movzx.net/term14-ISO8859-2.pcf.gz
http://movzx.net/termB14-ISO8859-2.pcf.gz

TIA,

Andrei