[Fontconfig] Re: Upgrade strategy 2.1.0 -> 2.3.92

Jim Osborn jimo at eskimo.com
Tue Dec 13 22:36:40 PST 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at  7:45:36PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 19:00 -0800, Jim Osborn wrote:
> > But I can't run my windowing system with the new lib; anything
> > using fontconfig crashes.  I can point libfontconfig.so.1 at the
> > old lib and run the old binaries...
>
> That's a bug then, and must be fixed before fontconfig 2.4 can be
> shipped. The requirement for 2.4 is to offer precisely the same ABI
> as the old version, and share the same .so major version.

Glad to hear that; I thought I might be going crazy... :)

> Please submit a but report to bugs.freedesktop.org and supply as
> many details as you muster, including the distribution and version
> of the other libraries in the system.

I'll be happy to, but I can't find any place on that wiki to report
bugs.  In fact there doesn't seem to be any area for the 2.3 Fc tree
at all that I could find.  Could you give a more specific url?

> Also useful would be a stack trace of where your applications are
> crashing.

I tried to get a bt, but with KDE's libs being so deeply nested I
couldn't get much that looked useful.  I'll tack a couple of samples
to the bottom of this note for what they're worth.  KDE's crash
handler, KCrash, seems to shield gdb from most of the details, and
I couldn't find a way to break on KCrash itself.

> It may well depend on the fonts you have present on your system or
> the .so version of FreeType that you have, or some other unknown
> variable.

I'll dig in a bit and try to come up with info on all the KDE libs
and the fonts installed. In the meantime, here's a quick overview
of my system:

gcc 3.4.3
autoconf 2.5.8
automake 1.9.6
libtool 1.5.20
KDE 3.4.2 built from source
fontconfig 2.3.92
freetype2 9.8.3
X 4.5.0 binary installation
teTeX 3.0
ghostscript 8.15.1 (espgs)
gnu-gs-fints-std-6.0
glibc 2.2.4
linux kernel 2.4.23

Running KDE from gdb by hacking the startx script gives this backtrace:
<after typing Ctl-C to get back to gdb>
   0x40191079 in wait4 () from /lib/libc.so.6
   (gdb) bt
   #0  0x40191079 in wait4 () from /lib/libc.so.6
   #1  0x40209944 in __DTOR_END__ () from /lib/libc.so.6
   #2  0x080492ce in ?? ()
   #3  0x401067ee in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6

Running a known-crashing KDE app, kmail, from gdb in an xterm gives this:
   (gdb) run
   Starting program: /opt/kde3/bin/kmail
   [New Thread 1024 (LWP 16563)]
   Error while reading shared library symbols:
   Dwarf Error: Cannot handle DW_FORM_strp in DWARF reader.
   Error while reading shared library symbols:
   Dwarf Error: Cannot handle DW_FORM_strp in DWARF reader.
   Error while reading shared library symbols:
   Dwarf Error: Cannot handle DW_FORM_strp in DWARF reader.
   Error while reading shared library symbols:
   Dwarf Error: Cannot handle DW_FORM_strp in DWARF reader.
   Error while reading shared library symbols:
   Dwarf Error: Cannot handle DW_FORM_strp in DWARF reader.
   Error while reading shared library symbols:
   Dwarf Error: Cannot handle DW_FORM_strp in DWARF reader.
   ERROR: Communication problem with kmail, it probably crashed.

   Program exited with code 0377.
   (gdb) bt
   No stack.
   (gdb) quit

I don't know if DW_FORM_strp in DWARF reader is helpful or not,
but there it is...

Let me know where to post this stuff on the bugs.freedesktop.org
site, and anything else I should persue.

Cheers,

Jim