[Fontconfig] Extrange behaviour of fontconfig 2.3.93

Luis Miguel García Mancebo ktecho at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 17:35:25 PST 2005

Hi guys,

I have been testing fontconfig latest release, as I have readed that
performance is improving. That's nice. But with 2.3.93 I have a very weird
behaviour. Some times apps starts fast, other times apps starts slow. I'm
using KDE if that matters.

I'll post some results. As we can see in [1], the "frequency" is not random.
It's one time fast, one time slow, one time fast, one time slow. Always
alternating between 0,6 secs and 3,7 secs.

As I revert [2] to fontconfig stable (2.3.2), things gets stable and apps
starts reasonably fast. It starts always in about 0,8 secs.

So I think the improvement from 2.3.2 to 2.3.93 is going to be from 0,8 secs
to 0,6, which is really nice, but we should guess where the problem is with
konsole (app tested) lasting for almost 4 seconds some times.

I can test any patch if needed. Also, if anyone thinks this has already fixed,
I could wait for 2.3.94 or add a patch to .93 in order to test if it's fixed.

Thansk.

Luis Miguel García Mancebo
Spain

[1]

real    0m0.667s
user    0m0.256s
sys     0m0.068s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m4.067s
user    0m3.212s
sys     0m0.176s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m0.625s
user    0m0.252s
sys     0m0.036s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m3.694s
user    0m3.184s
sys     0m0.164s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m0.628s
user    0m0.256s
sys     0m0.056s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m3.712s
user    0m3.192s
sys     0m0.176s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m0.634s
user    0m0.264s
sys     0m0.048s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m3.778s
user    0m3.196s
sys     0m0.168s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $
[2]

ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m0.823s
user    0m0.376s
sys     0m0.056s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m0.813s
user    0m0.412s
sys     0m0.024s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m0.813s
user    0m0.404s
sys     0m0.028s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m0.823s
user    0m0.388s
sys     0m0.048s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m0.813s
user    0m0.408s
sys     0m0.028s
ktech at Evanescence ~ $ time konsole -e sh -c exit

real    0m0.824s
user    0m0.400s
sys     0m0.024s