[Fontconfig] Font configuration - Debian Sarge.

cga cga2001 at softhome.net
Fri Feb 11 11:25:57 EST 2005

Josselin Mouette wrote:

> cga wrote:
>
>> I am having major difficulties trying to configure fonts on a linux
>> Debian/testing system.
>>
>> The main cause of the problem appears to be that  gtk & kde
>> applications now use fontconfig and everything relative to fonts
>> becomes very difficult to configure if you do not want to use any of
>> these two environments. I am unsure if this list is a suitable place
>> to ask for advice on these matters..?
>

> This has nothing to do with GTK+ nor with KDE. Maybe you can read
> /usr/share/doc/fontconfig/README.Debian first, and then come back if
> you have other questions.
>
> Regards,

What I meant was that the extra features provided by  fontconfig  (aa..
auto-hinting..) add more variables to the text rendering equation and it
has now become almost impossible to tweak fonts w/o access to an
interactive tool such as the one provided by the gnome & kde desktops.
It's no longer just a matter of installing a decent screen font and
editing a few files to specify the font, font size & fontstyle to
GTK/KDE apps like it w/ older releases of XFree. Naturally if you
already know which /etc/fonts/local.conf settings are optimal for your
display entering the xml is trivial. But the point I'm arguing is that
for someone who does not want/need the features provided by fontconfig
it makes matters a lot more difficult  - especially if you are not a
gnome/KDE user.