[Fontconfig] Problem with URW Nimbus Roman

Ernest Adrogué eadrogue at gmx.net
Thu Feb 17 22:39:51 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to find out what's going on with Nimbus Roman No9 L
that always appears in bold face, see:
(poorly written, sorry)

First I thought it was fontconfig fault but after further
research I'm afraid I was completely wrong:

ernest at tty2:~ $ fc-list ":family=nimbus roman no9 l" file family style
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n021024l.pfb: Nimbus Roman No9 L:style=Medium Italic
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n021004l.pfb: Nimbus Roman No9 L:style=Medium
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n021023l.pfb: Nimbus Roman No9 L:style=Regular Italic
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n021003l.pfb: Nimbus Roman No9 L:style=Regular

It looks like fontconfig has no problem at all with this font,
isn't it?

However when I run gtk2fontsel (which is a simple font
selection dialog I'm using to test this problem) and select
successively every style of the font, only the medium
(bold) style is used. So, for instance, I select "regular
italic" but the one that show up is "medium italic".

I see that gtk2fontsel only opens these files:

ernest at tty2:~ $ lsof -p 2205 | grep pfb
gtk2fonts 2205 ernest  mem    REG        3,7   96211    3567 /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n021024l.pfb
gtk2fonts 2205 ernest  mem    REG        3,7  108822    3578 /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n021004l.pfb

But now my limited technical skills are exhausted, likesay,
I don't know what to do or look for at this point, so if
anyone can give me a hint I'd really appreciate it.

--
ernest

That's all you need tae dae in life. Just be yourself, he'd tell me.
It was the most difficult, challenging thing anybody ever asked of me.
--Irvine Welsh's Glue.