[Fontconfig] fontconfig 2.2.3 only works with iso8859-1

Haakon Riiser haakon.riiser at fys.uio.no
Sat Feb 26 08:22:58 EST 2005

[Owen Taylor]

> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 16:19 +0100, Haakon Riiser wrote:

>> Just using the font as if it were ISO10646-1 would be good
>> enough.  Should't that be a trivial patch?  It is, at least,
>> much better than the current behavior, which I don't see any
>> use for.

> To this I can only reply:
>
>  Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
>
> If an input stream has a ³ in it, then that should come out as
> a ³ or nothing. It should never come out as a ???.
>
> Misencoding input text in order to match a misencoded (or
> misinterpreted) font is one of the ultimate evils of the font
> and text handling world.

I don't see it as a problem, but OK.  Here's another idea: how
about making it possible to define aliases for font encodings in
fonts.conf?  Then I could tell fontconfig that IBM cp437 is another
name for ISO8859-1; there would be no side effect for people who
don't specifically ask for it, and everyone is happy. :-)

--
 Haakon