[Fontconfig] fontconfig 2.2.3 only works with iso8859-1

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Feb 26 11:04:35 EST 2005

Around 22 o'clock on Feb 25, Haakon Riiser wrote:

> I don't see it as a problem, but OK.  Here's another idea: how
> about making it possible to define aliases for font encodings in
> fonts.conf?

Transcoding BDF fonts is not rocket science; if you want fontconfig to
know what codepoints are covered by a font, you'll just need to present it
with some way to get correct Unicode encoding tables for the font.

The problem here is not in fontconfig, but (maybe) Freetype which is
missing any kind of support for non-Unicode (or Latin-1) encodings for BDF
fonts.

As BDF fonts have so many other troubles, it's not exactly encouraging
anyone to go try to fix this; I'm pushing to eliminate BDF/PCF fonts and
replace them with bitmap glyphs encoded in true type files (SFNT), which
seems better in all ways to me.

-keith