[Fontconfig] monospaced fonts and combining characters: fontconfig bug?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Jul 14 02:45:55 EST 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Keith Packard wrote:

> Yeah, probably. Is there a compact representation for all of the
> combining characters?

The Unicode General Category of the characters can tell you that.
I can prepare a compact table if you need.

> Or should we just permit advances of 0 for any
> character? The latter would be far easier, and would follow the method
> used to identify dual-spaced fonts, while the former might avoid
> mis-identifying some broken fonts.

I prefer the latter.  Moreover, there was the discussion of
monospace fonts on the OpenType list last week.  Seems like
according to the OpenType spec, a monospace font should have all
the widths equal, no zero width allowed.  Combining characters
can get their width zeroed using OpenType tables.  There were
suggestions to change this behavior though.

> -keith

--behdad
http://behdad.org/