[Fontconfig] monospaced fonts and combining characters: fontconfig bug?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jul 14 03:43:18 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 12:45 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> I prefer the latter.  Moreover, there was the discussion of
> monospace fonts on the OpenType list last week.  Seems like
> according to the OpenType spec, a monospace font should have all
> the widths equal, no zero width allowed.

Sure, but these aren't OpenType fonts, they're just TrueType, so there
isn't any way to set the glyphs correctly.

>  Combining characters
> can get their width zeroed using OpenType tables.  There were
> suggestions to change this behavior though.

I expect applications wanting monospaced fonts will mis-display these
glyphs quite badly, and I'm not quite sure what to do about that; I know
my text editor doesn't expect glyphs in a monospaced font to overlap...

-keith