[Fontconfig] monospaced fonts and combining characters: fontconfig bug?

Ming Hua minghua-list at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 14 16:31:10 EST 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 10:43:18AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 12:45 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> > I prefer the latter.  Moreover, there was the discussion of
> > monospace fonts on the OpenType list last week.  Seems like
> > according to the OpenType spec, a monospace font should have all
> > the widths equal, no zero width allowed.
>
> Sure, but these aren't OpenType fonts, they're just TrueType, so there
> isn't any way to set the glyphs correctly.

If I am not mistaken, the discussion on the OpenType list should be
inspired by the author of FontForge, who got asked about exactly this
issue for TrueType fonts on FontForge list.

The thread is:
    http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7578042&forum_id=39351
They were arguing whether a font of glyphs with only a certain width or
zero width should be labelled as monospace by FontForge or not.  The
author of FontForge insists that it should not, and monospace font means
all glyphs have the same width.

I don't know much about fonts, just to point that thread to the list, so
that people with more knowledge can evaluate the opinions there.

Also, a sincere thank you to the fontconfig developers.

Ming, a happy Chinese Linux user
2005.07.14