[Fontconfig] fontconfig configuration file

Thomas De Schampheleire spamfree at patrickdepinguin.com
Sat Jul 23 06:59:28 EST 2005

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>
>> The error I get is during the start of X... So I tried tracing the
>> startx command, but there is no reference at all to anything that has
>> to do with fontconfig.
>

> That makes me think that you have multiple libfontconfig installed --
> some using non-existent config.

I did a locate and there is only one libfontconfig on my system.
I did mess around with the fontconfig, see my original post...

>> I tried tracing startkde, but didn't really find a clue. In the
>> .xsession_errors file I get:
>

> strace needs switches to follow children too.
>
>> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
>

> Maybe try:
>
>  strings /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so | egrep "/.*(conf|font)"
>
> Or wherever your libfontconfig is at.
>
> That worked for me on two systems to show where my configuration
> directory was at.

It returns
/fonts.cache-1
~/.fonts.cache-1
/etc/fonts
/usr/share/fonts

there is a config file in /etc/fonts, but not in /usr/share/fonts, that
directory doesn't exist.

what to do now?