[Fontconfig] A question about font styles

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Mar 7 12:20:44 EST 2005

Around 18 o'clock on Mar 6, Ambrose Li wrote:

> I was told that "there's not much that can be done currently,
> since the fonts don't differentiate themselves enough for
> pango to generate unique font descriptions for them."

There's the limitation -- pango doesn't expose the varients in any
extensible fashion, it has only two variables (weight/slant) and a limited
number of values for each one (2 each?).

Pango should, in addtion, provide a list of style names for each family
for applications which want to select by name.  As many TrueType fonts
provide extensive localization for these style names, it's not even a
terrible localization problem.

Owen just needs more people complaining so that he'll figure out how
to provide a more comprehensive style solution.

-keith