[Fontconfig] A question about font styles

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Mar 8 12:16:47 EST 2005

Around 17 o'clock on Mar 7, Owen Taylor wrote:

> 5) Don't add "face name", do whatever munging on fontconfig output
>     is necessary to create artificial family names.

You can already use fullnames, although fontconfig doesn't (currently)
match on them.

It still seems wrong to me though; style names are a superset of the
CSS2 catagories, most applications just want to list the available styles
by name.  This CSS2-based artificial restriction is only visible to
applcation programmers; exposing that to users, or making it really hard
to hide from them doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

-keith