[Fontconfig] mmap branch vs gnome-terminal

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Sep 23 05:03:22 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 16:38 -0400, Patrick Lam wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Looking at the gnome-font-properties problem some more, I see
> > XftFontMatch() returning NULL. Inside XftFontMatch(), all seems
> > well until the call to XftDefaultSubstitute() which returns a
> > pattern where the "style" value is set to FcTrue, which later upsets
> > FcCompareValueList.
>
> I've fixed the gnome-terminal problem the right way now, at least for my
> system (you'll have to rebuild all your caches).  gnome-font-properties
> still doesn't work.  Thanks for this tip, I'll look into it presently
> and hopefully will have a fix soon.
>
> pat

Ok, I poked some more at this, and it seems to be a problem with
FcNameRegisterObjectTypes() and/ or FcNameGetObjectType(). What is
happening is that Xft calls FcNameRegisterObjectTypes() to register some
additional names, "render" being the third one. There seems to be some
confusion wrt to the assignment of ids to the registered strings, at
least we end up with "render" from the Xft strings getting id 2, which
is the same id as "style" from the FC registered strings got. This has
then the effect that setting "render" to TRUE sets "style" instead,
which is bad, since "style" is not a boolean...

Matthias